Tuesday 10 April 2012

Makeup Tutorial

OK so I have been asked over the years whether or not I offer Makeup tutorials. To be honest makeup at first was just something I did on the side whilst studying. I was more than happy to tag along with my sister/mentor and work on various brides and celebrants most especially during the peak summer season. Come September I'd make preparations to return to university and leave all the hard work to my sister to be getting on with. For the record this was a mutual understanding we were both happy with. It never occurred to me in the slightest that I would eventually make a career out of it.

At long last I carried out my first makeup tutorial class with one of my regular clients who was keen to learn the techniques to makeup artistry. I have to be honest I did not think I had it in me to teach others. 'Have faith in yourself' my mother would often say. It's not that I don't have any faith it's more to do with being content and comfortable. I was absolutely fine with what I was doing. My job usually consist with me meeting my clients, have a brief chat about what kind of look they are after, make referrals e.g. photographer's, book and confirm dates, carry out the job, get paid and the rest they say is history. I couldn't ask for anything more or less.

So finally I meet with my client. A meeting I was tempted to cancel due to bad whether and reluctance on my part to leave the comfort of my family house. My father nagged me to leave on time, it was difficult even for him, deep down he sympathised with me. Still he lectured me on the importance of arriving to appointments on time. 'Good reputation matters and cannot be bought in the market' he would often say. If only he knew how tired and exhausted I was, if only he could feel my pain or rather my laziness. It had been a long day for me and I was exhausted. Taking the kids out for lunch earlier that day consumed all my energy.

I arrived at my destination just time. I'm sure dad would be pleased. Luckily for me the weather wasn't that bad after all. I pressed the buzzer. I got no response for the first couple of minutes. In my mind I thought 'yes' I can run back to my dad's house and catch up on my beauty sleep.  I press the buzzer again and behold she answers. I go in to find my client looking radiant and full of life as always. She was in the middle of preparing dinner (ewa agoyin - Nigerian delicacy), and kindly offered me a plate but I had to refuse. I think the amala and egusi soup (Nigerian delicacy) I had eaten with the family weighed me down.

The first thing I noticed was the foundation she used on her face was too dark. She insisted it was she told to buy that particular colour (Matchmaster 9.0) from staff at Mac cosmetics store. In fact she seemed very content to use a foundation darker than her natural skin tone. I suggested she mixed with a lighter shade (Nw45 studio fix liquid). I drilled it in, I had to, it was an obligation on my part. I offered her mineralize powder in a lighter shade (dark) to try on just to prove my point. She noticed the difference almost immediately. So elated she immediately jotted down the names of shades to buy, knowing her, she'll be the first customer at Mac cosmetics the following day.


So we finally get started. She took it upon herself to use her sister as a guinea pig as she correctly put it. It was absolutely fine with me as we needed a third person to work on. My client/student took as many notes as possible for the theory aspect. Within three hours through her eagerness and determination successfully transformed the left side of her sister's face from my example done on the right.

I called my sister/mentor the following day to share the good news. She was rather pleased as well as surprised but more importantly she encouraged to continue and keep up the good work. I guess I'm well on my way to developing my teaching techniques and shall be holding more makeup tutorials in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment